Club History

PRIOR TO 1953 THE HURLING NEEDS IN GRAIGNAMANAGH WERE CATERED FOR BY THE BRANDON ROVERS. AT THE BRANDON ROVERS A.G.M IN JANURARY IT SEEMS SOME OF THE LOCALS WERE NOT HAPPY WHEN THE OUTGOING TREASURER MICK MOORE FAILED TO BE ELECTED AND THIS WAS THE CATALYST THAT FORMED WHAT IS TODAY KNOWN AS GRAIGNAMANAGH G.A.A CLUB.THE PRESENT DAY CLUB WAS FOUNDED UNDER THE NAME OF ST.VINCENTS AND CHANGED TO GRAIGNAMANAGH IN 1967.IN 1953 THE AREA WAS WELL SERVED BY 3 CLUBS BRANDON ROVERS,BLACK & WHITES AND TINNAHINCH,BUT LIKE THE MONKS OF OLD THOSE FEW BUT HIGHLY MOTIVATED MEN POSSESSED A BLINDING FAITH THAT WITH THE PROPER STRUCURES IN PLACE GRAIGNAMANAGH COULD GAIN A PLACE AMONG THE HURLING ELITE OF KILKENNY.FAITH IS WHAT THEY NEEDED IN ABUNDANCE BECAUSE THEY HAD NO SLIOTHERS, NO PLAYING PITCH ,NO HURLEYS ,NO FUNDS AND NO TEAM.THE FACT THAT THE CLUB CELEBRATED ITS 50TH ANNIVERSARY IN 2003 BEARS AMPLE TESTIMONY THAT THE FAITH AND VISION OF THOSE MEN WASN'T MISPLACED AND THE SEED THEY SOWED DID NOT FALL ON BARREN GROUND